Climate Action Newtown is excited to be part of two important campaigns this year.
Right now Australia faces a choice: we can continue our dependence on fossil fuels, mining and burning coal, polluting our air and water, damaging our farmland and heath, and creating an unstable climate for all, or we can make the switch to 100% clean renewable energy.
The 100% renewable campaign [link to website] is a dynamic, national campaign calling for an urgent transition to renewable energy.
100% renewable energy will create new opportunities, new industry and new jobs. With our natural advantage in sun, wind and wave we don’t want to be left behind the rest of the world – we want to be a clean energy leader!
Climate Action Newtown joined 70 other groups from every state and territory across Australia to officially launch the campaign back in May. Check out some other photos of our launch at the Hub here. Why not ‘launch’ the campaign in your suburb? It’s easy, all you need to do is take a photo showing your suburbs support of the campaign, like these ones…
And send it to us email@example.com
We recently received the support of Marrickville Council to help raise awareness about the campaign in the Marrickville area. Thanks!
No New Coal
The Keneally government has plans for new coal-fired power stations in NSW that would increase the state’s greenhouse gas emissions by 15%. New coal-fired power stations will be an environmental and economic disaster for NSW. It will lock the state into a fossil fuel future and undermine jobs in clean energy industries.
Climate Action Newtown is supporting the No New Coal campaign by collecting petition signatures in the local area. You can help by:
1. Writing to NSW politicians
You can write to a NSW Cabinet Minister (or to the entire Cabinet) as well as your local member for state parliament.
- Contact details for Cabinet Ministers are available here
- Contact details for local members in NSW are available here
Some points to mention in your letters:
- Climate change is an urgent threat and we need to rapidly cut greenhouse gas emissions, not increase them.
- NSW doesn’t need new coal-fired power stations. Future energy needs can be met through energy efficiency measures and renewable energy.
- We should be investing in renewable energy and creating the clean industries of the future.
- New coal plants should be banned.
- All new energy should come from pollution-free renewable energy.
2. Signing the online petition